WPR’s Weekely Movie News Roundup: April 27
All The News you didn’t hear yet
- Ewan McGregor is in negotiations with Disney to take on the role of Lumiere in Disney’s live-action version of Beauty and the Beast. As reported by The Hollywood Reporter. While Variety reported that Stanley Tucci will play Cadenza the grand piano, a new character who is described as a neurotic maestro.
- The Hollywood Reporter broke the news that 20th Century Fox has delayed production on The Deep Blue Goodby after Christian Bale tore his ACL at his home in Los Angeles. Production was set to start this summer but Fox is now halting production until Bale recovers.
- Paramount Television is shopping a TV series based on Galaxy Quest, reported by Variety. Robert Gordon, who co-wrote with David Howard, is in negotiations to work on the TV adaptation, as are original director Dean Parisot and executive producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein.
- Warner Bros put into development a Robin Hood adaptation scripted by Will Beall, and produced by The Lego Movie‘s Dan Lin, and John Zaozirny. This makes four major movie projects on the same subject. Sony, Disney and Lionsgate have the others. Lionsgate has Robin Hood: Origins it’s described as an origins story with a Batman Begins tone. Disney has Nottingham & Hood, a swashbuckling family friendly adventure film in the vein of Pirates Of The Caribbean. Sony has Hood that has been described tonally as a high-action Fast & Furious meets Mission: Impossible-style reinvention of the tale, with Jerry Bruckheimer on board as producer. Originally reported by Deadline.
- Netflix is bringing back Marvel’s Daredevil for a second season in 2016. Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez are taking over as showrunners from Steven S. DeKnight. “While previous commitments unfortunately prevent me from continuing on with Daredevil into its second season, I could not be happier that Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez are carrying the torch,” DeKnight said in a statement. “They were invaluable collaborators during our first season, and I for one can’t wait to see what they do with the show moving forward.”
- Niall Leonard, E.L. James’ husband, has been roped into writing the screenplay for Fifty Shades Darker, the sequel to Fifty Shades of Grey. This will mark Leonard’s first time working on a major studio film. Variety first reported in February that the reason for the delay in naming a screenwriter for the sequel was that James herself wanted to write the screenplay. While Leonard works on the script, the studio will now look to find a replacement for director Sam Taylor-Johnson, who announced last month she would not be returning.
- Disney acquired Beanstalk, an adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk from Vince Gilligan who has Breaking Bad writer Thomas Schnauz writing the script. As first reported by Deadline.
- Tom Rothman announced at CinemaCon that Phil Lord and Christopher Miller will make an animated feature of Spider-Man. It won’t hold up the progress of a new live-action films with Marvel chief Kevin Feige. The animated film will be released July 20, 2018, the live-action sequel will be released July 28, 2017. As reported by Deadline
- Sony has officially announced a sequel to the Denzel Washington thriller The Equalizer, based on strong box office results and home entertainment sales. Washington is expected to reprise his role. First reported by Variety.
- Variety is reporting actor Riz Ahmed is the top choice for the male lead in Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One. Gareth Edwards is directing and Ben Mendelsohn is also set to star as the main villain.
- According to Variety Tyler Perry is set to join the cast of Michael Bay’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, as scientist Baxter Stockman, while Stephen Amell was recently cast as Casey Jones.
- Universal announced during its CinemaCon presentation Fifty Shades Of Grey sequels Fifty Shades Darker will be released on February 10, 2017 and Fifty Shades Freed on February 9, 2018. Vin Diesel took the stage to announce that Fast & Furious 8 will open on April 14, 2017. Legendary’s Warcraft released in 3D, will move from March 11, 2016, to June 10, 2016. Mena will open on January 6, 2017. The Mummy will move from June 24, 2016, to Friday, March 24, 2017. Pacific Rim 2 will move from April 7, 2017, to Friday, August 4, 2017, it will be released in 3D. Finally an Untitled Universal Monster Franchise Film will move from April 21, 2017, to March 30, 2018. Via Deadline.
And that’s the news. You can continue reading about what happened at the box office here: WPR’s Box Office Report