The lucky crew at PSM3 got their grubby hands onto a game that I’ve been dying to play ever since it was announced…and the people at GamersMint has gotten their hands on the issue a bit early.
The information they provide is nothing short of exciting. I personally can’t wait to get this game and the HD remakes of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. As far as I’m concerned Fumito Ueda is a god of game design.
- Guards in armor are actually shadows, when their armor glows, they can vanish.
- Team ICO has sought technical advice from all in-house Sony Studios wherever possible.
- The Last Guardian will be similar to Ico.
- The game we will not be as confined as in Ico.
- The game’s original music is not the one presented in the trailer. It’s just a test track being used.
- There will be less fighting sequences in TLG than in Ico.
- Torico-AI will focus on that moods and reactions to the environment. The game will be based on its relationship with the child to solve puzzles and explore the fortress.
- Torico can apparently eliminate the guards, the child however can’t do that (so he will be playing undercover when he is alone).
- Torico’s feathers, butterflies, dust, particles, everything is managed in real time, many great animations were all made by hand.
- Ueda, does not consider his work as art. It could go much, much further in the concept art but that would make it difficult for some fun and commercial viability of titles. He must find the right balance.
- Ueda didn’t reveal who the Last Guardian is, Torico or the boy. He said we’ll have to find out.
- Ueda has assured that the game will be released by the end of this year, at least in Japan.
- Ueda is wary not to make the game’s puzzles too difficult, however, he wants to maintain a good amount of challenge and hence they’re constantly beta-testing to measure the difficulty of puzzles and find the right balance.
- Ueda stated that he’s allowed to achieve things with the PS3 which he couldn’t manage to fulfill due to the tech on offer with PS2.
- Ueda would love the game to release on time, however he won’t rush things.
The Last Guardian has a tentative release date of October of this year, but like Ueda said above…no promises can be made.