Star Trek Into Darkness: Is It Worth Your Money?
- Chris Pine as Commander/Captain James T. Kirk, commanding officer and former first officer of the starship Enterprise.
- Zachary Quinto as First Officer Spock, commander and science officer. Leonard Nimoy has a cameo appearance as Spock Prime.
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Commander John Harrison.
- Karl Urban as Lieutenant Commander Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy, chief medical officer.
- John Cho as Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu, third officer and helmsman.
- Zoe Saldana as Lieutenant Nyota Uhura, communications officer.
- Alice Eve as Dr. Carol Marcus/ Science Officer Carol Wallace.
- Anton Yelchin as Ensign Pavel Chekov, navigator.
- Simon Pegg as Lieutenant Commander Montgomery “Scotty” Scott, second officer and chief engineer.
- Bruce Greenwood as Rear Admiral Christopher Pike.
- Noel Clarke as Thomas Harewood, a Starfleet employee, working within Section 31.
- Nazneen Contractor as Rima Harewood, Thomas’ wife.
- Peter Weller as Starfleet Admiral Alexander Marcus.
Well, is Star Trek Into Darkness worth your money?
The answer is simple and clear: YES!
Below I’ll talk a little bit about the plot with some light spoilers. Don’t worry, I’ll warn you before I give anything away. I figure by now a lot of people are talking about the plot of the this film and I should at least talk to those people, but for now let’s just focus on the plain and simple.
I’m giving my rating right now. 9 out of 10
I don’t ever give new movies a 10… they haven’t stood the test of time yet. That being said, I enjoyed this movie more than any other movie I’ve seen this year. More than Iron Man 3, more than Evil Dead (Reboot), more than Pain & Gain, and definitely more than The Great Gatsby. What makes this movie so great, you ask? Into Darkness has the perfect mix of humor, exciting action, and drama. Much of the comic relief comes from Spock’s complete lack of emotion, but of course Scotty, McCoy, and Kirk add to the laughs. Another great point to this film is that the CGI is meticulous and damn near perfect (I’m sure I’ll regret that statement in 5 years).
I’ve already argued this with my Trekker friends, and I’m sure a few of you on the internets will disagree, but this is by far the best incarnation of the U.S.S. Enterprise to date. Admittedly I am not by any means a Trekker or a Trekkie. In fact, I’ve never followed any of the series and haven’t watched all the movies. So take my statement with a grain of salt, but still realize I haven’t met a person who saw this movie who didn’t enjoy it.
Now hear be the spoilers, light ones but spoilers none the less!!!
You still here???
You sure you want to continue????
As you probably already know Into Darkness is a retooling of The Wrath of Khan! While not really coming too close to following the original they do keep/twist a fair amount of the plot.
I must say that I couldn’t be more happy about this. Wrath of Khan was arguably the best of the Star Trek movies, and now it’s been remade and even better at that!
We get to see Spock kick major ass, Khan kick even more ass, and Klingons!!!!! I was so excited to finally see the face of Abraham’s Klingons and I must say I like it!