While a job like Ghostbuster or General of the Rebel Alliance seems like fun in theory, they are also filled with danger and weapons. Not my idea of a good time on the job. But thinking of some of the professions that I have seen in movies that I’d like, I’ve come up with a list of my five. And, as usual, they are in no particular order.
Record Store Owner. (High Fidelity) One of my all time top five jobs from a movie would be record store owner, and what better place to work than Championship Vinyl? Although a dying field, you would have the true lovers of music and nostalgia seeking you out. There is a passion that comes with starting a company in an area that not as many people may still partake of. And it’s not about the money, as you will learn is the case with most of my employment selections. I would never think that I’d open a record store and the money would just start pouring in. In fact, as I write this, 3 more record stores just closed. So, once I make my millions, then I will sit back, open a record store with a couple of my friends, and spend my days listening to awesome music.
Insurance Claim Investigator. (Fight Club) While Edward Norton/Tyler Durden was more out in the field with his job, in my current “grown-up” job I sit at a computer and am on the phone a majority of the day with insurance representatives. People might see this as boring, but I actually really enjoy my job because I like playing detective and linking all of the little details together until I’m able to fully understand the big picture. While the area of insurance to most people is considered mundane or even frustrating, it takes a level of patience and open-mindedness that I like to think I possess.
Writer for Vogue. (Sex and the City) Writer Carrie Bradshaw, played by Sarah Jessica Parker, spends 95% of her day shopping, having lunch with friends and having sex (not always all at the same time). The other 5% of her day she actually spends writing. And not only that, but it comes quickly and easy to her. I only recall one episode where she ever dealt with “writer’s block”, a disease I feel inflicted with pretty much everyday. She gets to sit around enjoying coffee and her new pair of shoes while chatting openly with her friends about their latest sexual/relationship adventures, which is a never ending pool of resources. What better way to spend your days? Shopping and hanging out with your friends who basically write your work for you!
News Photographer. (Spider-man) Besides being able to impress all of my friends with my awesome profile pics, I’d be getting paid to do something that I love. I’d get to be front and center in all of the action going on, and also get all access passes to concerts and all sorts of other cool events. I would enjoy being able to do something creative and travel all over the world. Not only seeing all the sights for myself but also being able to share them with everyone else. Plus, you’d be able to provide a cheap and easy present for housewarming parties, birthdays and weddings.
Waitress. (Amelie) Now, while to some of you this may not seem very glamorous let me tell you, it’s not. I’ve worked as a server in many restaurants before, but this would be different. Amelie works as a waitress at Les Deux Moulins (The Two Windmills) in Paris, and that would be the only place that would make me go back to waiting tables. Serving coffee and little slices of pie to lazy patrons who have no where better to be because they are exactly where they want to be. Retired old people spending their days sipping a tall glass of chilled wine on a warm day. I’d spend my days talking with the patrons about where they come from and listen to all of their stories of love and loss, and spend my nights discovering the winding roads of Paris. Yeah, that sounds nice.
What about you? Agree? Disagree? Let me know what your dream movie-inspired job would be!