Huge Surprise: Gilbert Gottfried Makes Light Of Tragedy, Actual Huge Surprise: Gets Fired For It
You might know Gilbert Gottfried as “that guy with the annoying voice,” but there was a time when he was more known for his hilarious, extremely offensive stand-up comedy. Recently, Gottfried proved that you really can’t have the best of both worlds by not only posting horribly offensive, way too soon, not very funny jokes about the recent earthquakes in Japan, but also getting fired from his cushy job as the voice of a duck (the role he was born to play) because of them.
The jokes are all gone from Twitter now, which I don’t understand. If you’re going to post awful jokes on the internet and get fired for them, at least have the balls to leave them up. Granted, if I had written those jokes, I’d want to take them down too; Not because they’re offensive, but because they’re not funny. Here’s a taste:
– I was talking to my Japanese real estate agent. I said “is there a school in this area.” She said “not now, but just wait.”
– Japan is really advanced. They don’t go to the beach. The beach comes to them.
– What do the japanese have in common with @howardstern? They’re both radio active.
– Japan had put out this urgent plea….” PLEASE SEND US A FEW BIlLION RUBBER DUCKIES!!!!!”
– Japan called me. They said “maybe those jokes are a hit in the US, but over here, they’re all sinking.”
– What does every Japanese person have in their apartment? Flood lights.
– My Japanese doctor advised me to stay healthy I need 50 million gallons of water a day.
– I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, “They’ll be another one floating by any minute now.”
Are the jokes cheesy? Yes. Are they BEYOND way too soon? Way yes.
Is this a fireable offense? Not even in the slightest.
I don’t know if Gottfried is having a mid-life crisis or what. Perhaps he’s trying to reclaim his old title as a shock comic as opposed to his current title as “voice actor sellout,” but even knowing that Aflac does a huge amount of business over in the land of the rising sun doesn’t justify them giving a comedian the sack for making jokes.