Compulsory E3 Predictions Post
Well, tomorrow marks the beginning of E3, a week where everyone gets caught in hype, blogs crush to death with news and we generally get excited. Last year’s E3 was a disappointment, but this year it’s back at the LA Convention Center and ready to roll and of course, the booth babes are back. As long as we don’t get Cammie Dunaway snowboarding with Shaun White again or a whole group of Nintendo cronies embarrassing themselves on stage with Wii Music, then it should be a fun time for gaming. So in preparation for this coming week’s events, here are me and Nikmonroe’s predictions for E3 2009.
Microsoft Conference –
– Microsoft will unveil the long rumoured motion sensing peripheral, much to everyone’s “surprise”. This will go hand in hand with at least one game featuring avatars.
– We’ll get the first hands on with The Beatles: Rock Band, since we saw the first crappy footage from the Paul McCartney concert.
– We’ll get to see how Zune HD is going to be utterly useless to any of us.
– Bungie will finally show us Halo:ODST and give us a release date for it.
– Rockstar will unveil GTA IV: Vice City, because a man can dream. Realistically they’ll show off The Ballad Of Gay Tony.
– Sony will unveil the PSP…wait a minute.
– Sony will unveil the PS3 Sli…wait a minute.
– Sony will talk about Gran Turismo: Mobile and announce a new Metal Gear game for the PS…wait a minute.
– Team ICO will show off their latest game that everyone will fap over and I’ll be left wondering what’s the big deal again.
– Kojima will finally stop being such a cocktease and tell us what this new game is already, probably Metal Gear related.
– This is the year of the PS…wait a minute.
– Reggie and Iwata will circlejerk about how they’re laughing all the way to the bank with the DS lite, DSi and Wii
– Cammie Dunaway and Tony Hawk will give us a demonstration of Tony Hawk: Ride. Cammie will make up some bullshit story about how she used to skate once.
– We’ll get a 30 second teaser of the new Wii Zelda and everyone will cream their pants, forgetting any anger against Nintendo’s casual bias.
– Wii Fit Plus will be unveiled and will make use of motionplus much to everyone’s “surprise”.
– I’ll be asleep by the time it’s finished.
Fantasy Sega Conference-
– A new 2D Sonic game, developed by the new reformed Sega Technical Institute is announced for XBLA/PSN/Wiiware. I will cream my pants.
– Streets Of Rage 4 will be announced for XBLA/PSN/WiiWare. I will cream my pants.
– Outrun 3 will be announced for Xbox 360/PS3. I will cream my pants.
– Shenmue 3 will be announced for Xbox 360/PS3. I will cream my pants.
– Comix Zone 2 will be announced for XBLA/PSN/WiiWare. I will cream my pants.
Now let’s see what Nikmonroe’s predictions are.
This could very well end up being one of the most exciting E3s in years. There are a lot of big announcements rumoured with some of the older and newer franchises receiving updates and sequels as well as some interesting looking new IP’s. Here’s what I think will be the big announcements E3 2009.
Microsoft Conference –
– Motion controlled camera. This has been rumoured for long time now and it would make sense considering Microsoft’s current focus on the casual games market. Rumours are that is in fact a full 3D camera system which will be able to accurately track body movement. If this is announced, expect to see a number of casual games that incorporate the technology also announced. I’d be surprised if any of the big name developers will have put into production anything that uses this technology just yet. I think it’ll be at the Leipzig Games Conference when those sorts of announcements are made.
– NXE Dashboard Update. Microsoft has recently been advertising for an “experienced server developer” to with a team that will “building a backend capable of hosting a 300,000 player game in real-time with real money on the line (anti-cheating, etc). I’m guessing that Microsoft is working on a Home type hub world that your avatars can walk around and interact with other people and take part in the community games like 1 vs. 100 or even walk into a cinema and watch a film with others and maybe walk into a football ground and watch the football when the Sky digital service becomes available to UK customers later on this year. I’d be happy with a dashboard that you can manipulate via hand movements like the computers in Minority Report; I think that would be pretty cool.
– Metal Gear Solid 4 is finally announced on the 360 and will be bundled with extra content, just like every other Metal Gear, with the exception of Snake Eater.
– Perfect Dark will be announced for XBLA and everybody will be told to stop asking about Goldeneye because it’ll probably never happen.
– A new trailer for Alan Wake will be shown but we’ll still get no release date. Repeat for E3 2010.
– Halo 3: ODST will be playable at E3 along with an announcement about its release date. Halo 4 will probably be teased. (Editor’s note: considering this Halo:Reach rumour, I wouldn’t be surprised about some sort of tease)
– A Price Cut. If Metal Gear Solid 4 is indeed going to be announced for Xbox 360 at E3 like many think it will be this year, then it’s another piece of exclusive software that Sony have lost to Microsoft and another reason for people not to pick up the PS3. Tekken 6 is being released multiformat this year where it has previously been a Playstation only brand and the three biggest exclusives they have to my knowledge is the Joker DLC for Batman: Arkham Asylum and the European exclusivity of the Ghostbusters release as well as God of War 3. Whilst MAG (Massive Action Game) looks promising it’s a new IP so is unlikely to shift many consoles alone and with a lot of the well known games franchises going multiformat Sony is going to struggle. If they want to start clawing back customers then a price drop is going to have to happen at some point this year.
– Gran Turismo 5. Whilst GT: Mobile will announced with a release date set for before the end of the year Gran Turismo 5 will have yet another game play trailer with no release date attached. Much like Alan Wake expect to see a similar thing happen at E3 2010.
– God Of War 3 will take up the bulk of Sony’s presentation and everybody will go mad for it. This will be one of the contenders for game of the show.
– A new game from Team Ico. If it’s an extension of the video that was already leaked a couple of weeks ago then people will go mad for it. Hopefully we’ll see a title announced and an expected release date. Another game of the show contender.
– I think Nintendo will end up making a series of game related announcements, both appealing to the hardcore and casual this year rather than making showing off any new hardware, although I do expect Wii Motion Plus to feature heavily in the Nintendo presentation, with on stage demonstrations from Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort and Pikmin 3 , all of which feature the motion plus technology heavily.
– NES, SNES, Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games all made available through the DSi shop. This will give DS and DS Lite owners who haven’t upgraded yet another reason to upgrade their portable gaming to the latest systems and I would expect to see a similar pricing structure to the Wii Virtual Console.
– After the trailer was leaked last week, expect more on No More Heroes 2, maybe some game play footage and a Christmas release date announcement. After the popularity of the first game this may end up being a game of the show contender.
– Legend Of Zelda: Spirit Tracks will be shown in greater detail. Expect a story trailer as well as a couple of game play videos and maybe it’ll even be playable on the show floor. I think this is more likely than a new Zelda game being announced.
– A new Mario seems more likely and expect Shigeru Miyamoto to appear on stage in costume to announce this one. I’d expect this one to be further along in development than anybody thinks and will end up being the focal point of Nintendo’s winter release schedule. If this is announced everybody’s favourite plumber will probably go home with the game of the show and Nintendo will be everybody’s favourite once again.
So there you have it, those are our predictions. What are yours?